Clarion has introduced a pair of seven-ounce, "personal navigation devices" meant for use in cars, on bicycles, or on foot. The MAP770 (in Europe) and DrivTrax P5 (in Japan) run the Windows CE 5.0 "core" OS, and can play WMA/MP3 files and display JPEG/BMP images.
The units incorporate SIRF's popular starIII GPS receiver, which is said to track 20 satellites at once. The two devices' map and POI (point of interest) databases naturally differ according to their target markets; the DrivTrax P5 is programmed with a claimed 11 million Japanese addresses and 8 million phone numbers, while the MAP770 covers 28 European countries from Andorra to the Vatican.
Clarion's DriveTrax P5 (left) and MAP770 (right) are very similar
(Click to enlarge)
The MAP770 also is said to include navigational menus and voice guidance in 23 languages. A "smart zoom" feature automatically zooms in on maps, for greater detail, when the device is being moved slowly, and zooms out when at speed.
Found on the MAP700, but apparently not on the DrivTrax P5, is Bluetooth. Clarion says this lets users connect the device to a mobile phone, then use the larger screen to manage calls and dial numbers. The MAP700 also is said to include an RDS tuner for receiving traffic data.
The otherwise-identical devices are based on a 400 MHz Samsung processor, sport a 4.3-inch wide touchscreen display, and are equipped with 2 GB of flash storage memory. Also included is a lithium-ion battery that's said to provide up to 4.5 hours of operation, plus a car bracket and power adapters.
Clarion's audio player software
Although the units are primarily positioned as GPS devices, they can also display JPEG or BMP images and play MP3 or WMA audio files. Clarion says media can be transferred to the devices via Microsoft's ActiveSync, or via an SD/MMC card.
Clarion's MAP700 and DriveTrax P5 include an SD/MMC card
- Processor -- 400 MHz Samsung processor with ARM core (details not specified)
- Memory -- RAM not specified; 2 GB flash
- Display -- 4.3-inch TFT LCD, resolution not specified
- Audio -- built-in speaker and microphone; headphone jack
- Networking -- Bluetooth 2.0 (MAP700)
- Other I/O ports -- 1 x USB 1.1
- Expansion -- 1 x SD/MMC card slot
- Power -- lithium-ion battery, rechargeable via USB-connected AC adapter
- Dimensions -- 5.1 x 3.5 x .78 inches (130 x 90 x 20 mm)
- Weight -- 7.1 ounces (200g)