Thursday, June 14, 2007

TomTom Map Share disappointing?

location based services

June 12 2007, 15:52
TomTom Map Share’s features seem much less radical than most had thought after the initial announcement.
Replies: 34By yourNAV editors
Map Share, TomTom’s map-improvement technology which was announced last week, seems a lot less radical than most had assumed after it’s first announcement. The different types of possible corrections are limited to five in this first version.
RevolutionaryWith Map Share, the user can make his/her own corrections to the digital map of his/her PND and share it with other users of the new software. All the reactions of those present at the gathering in Cannes last week were enthusiastic, without exception. Reports later in papers and online media were also very positive about the new technology. This is no surprise, because the basic principle of Map Share may surely be called spectacular, revolutionary even. It will no doubt help TomTom leap ahead of the competition.
LimitationBut now it seems that Map Share will be more limited than we gathered from the initial information, including a lot of screen dumps (see here). On those, possibilities like postal code corrections and even adding missing streets and roundabouts are shown.Unfortunately, TomTom let us know today that these kinds of changes will not be available on the device, and will also not be a part of the Map Share download in which corrections available to all users are centralised. These corrections will be reported to Tele Atlas though, who will implement the corrections into future releases.
");
//-->
');
}
//-->
This disappointing limitation only leaves room for five types of corrections with Map Share:
(un)Block a street
Reverse driving direction
Change a street name
Add a missing Point Of Interest (POI)
Change a Point Of Interest (POI)
DisappointmentMany will consider these limitations to be pretty disappointing. A spokesperson for TomTom has let us know that they are working on implementing the other features which were first announced into the next released of Map Share. “We aim to release another Map Share version which will enable , for example, the adding of new streets and roundabouts”.

Replies by users:

Click on 'REPLY' if you want to reply...
Rob Ot Posts: 226
Posted on: June 12, 2007 15:52 h
Posted News:
Now on yourNAV:

TomTom Map Share disappointing?
TomTom Map Share’s features seem much less radical than most had thought after the initial announcement. Click the headline to read this news post... Click 'REPLY' if you want to reply to this news post The yourNAV team
Lee Sainsbury Posts: 638
Posted on: June 12, 2007 16:29 h
Well there goes a very good reason to upgrade then....Pathetic TomTom!! Announce something that's coming and then withdraw...It's the RDS/TMC saga all over again...Tom Tom =
ajh Posts: 21
Posted on: June 12, 2007 16:34 h
I guess it is a bit disappointing, but even the things that are included will make a real difference. There are a number of roads near me that have the direction incorrectly coded, and to be able to change that will improve things. If they hadn't shown the extra functionality, we probably wouldn't be that disappointed!
DarrenUK Posts: 43
Posted on: June 12, 2007 17:51 h
I will still get the new tomtom for other reasons, but this mapshare news is disappointing if not unsurprising. Those who thought that the idea people could alter maps and upload inaccurate changes just for a laugh will probably tell you it is for safety reasons. If this is so, then they would have scrapped it altogether and replaced it with something like the upcoming Navman system. The reasons I suspect for the change are purely commercial. ( insert "ker-ching!" sound here) If people can alter and update their maps free of charge, then who would pay for commercial updates in 6 months to years time, when they would already be out of date?I suspect that tomtoms map providers have asked tomtom if they are trying to put them out of business!Wish they had kept the add roundabout feature. I live near Canterbury, Kent. The council seem to put new roundabouts and pelican crossings every twenty feet. The distance inbetween they fill (or should I say "unfill") with potholes. Your tax money at work!
raylight Posts: 45
Posted on: June 12, 2007 18:45 h
I still think that its worth upgrading to the new 720, even though the mapshare is limited.it is a much slimmer, and better looking unit, than the one version 2Also the new features it will have , are definatley worth the upgrade.Just depends on the price now !!!!!
steveJ Posts: 105
Posted on: June 12, 2007 18:56 h
But is it worth upgrading from a 910? . At the moment, possibly not!
DarrenUK Posts: 43
Posted on: June 12, 2007 19:13 h
I've just had another look at the screencaps for nav7. I don't think tomtom have been misleading us or gone back on features they said it would have.If you look carefully the screencap for add roundabout, change postcode etc, it appears after the screen which you go to, to report errors. Those of us who thought that we could change those things ourselves (me included), have been looking at the screencaps in the wrong context. This wouls have been clearer if tomtom had a flash "demo" that we could look at. So they are not as evil as we thought!However I still think that the decision not to include them as user upgrade features is commercial, and they have to keep making money out of their existing users somehow.I don't have an x10 series tomtom, but I would still think that the speech recognition and other safety features would make it worth the upgrade if you have one.
vroomfondel Posts: 44
Posted on: June 12, 2007 20:41 h
The actual features in "Mapshare" are pathetic. They don't address most of the real problems users have.Its a NON-feature.Their competitors must be laughing their socks off.
uocooper Posts: 104
Posted on: June 12, 2007 22:58 h
I wouldn't call the clarification disappointing. Map Share is still something that I think can be a huge benefit to TomTom owners. The fact is that the corrections that you can make in Map Share 1.0 cover about 90% of the errors I see. I'm also happy to see that the changes you report via Map Share make their way back to Teleatlas. Map Share will improve just as the rest of the TomTom software has with each release.
oskarp Posts: 23
Posted on: June 12, 2007 23:04 h
QUOTE
This disappointing limitation only leaves room for five types of corrections with Map Share:(un)Block a streetReverse driving directionChange a street nameAdd a missing Point Of Interest (POI)Change a Point Of Interest (POI)I think this possibilities is good, If I had a extra wish it must be the possibility to change a speed limit.I don't think it is easy to make and application, that gives all of us the possibility to draw in a map, change roads, crosses etc.There has to be a man made controll after all on such changes.I am satisfied if the most of the information placed on the map can be changed.I am looking forward to get the Navcore 7 ether on a new unit or on my 910.
samjohnson Posts: 3
Posted on: June 13, 2007 11:01 h
It still sounds pretty exciting to me. This is just the first version, and it's already a revolutionary concept. Don't really get how anyone could find it pathetic or disappointing. Even in it's first incarnation Map Share is way beyond anything the competition is doing. If it works, of course. I'm gonna be very tempted to trade in my 710 for one of these.
Captain Nemo 2nd Posts: 2
Posted on: June 13, 2007 11:36 h
i for one am looking forward to the release of this software update, I used to have a TT go300 and the map errors were so bad i had to get rid of it, Now if only I could get a TT with Navtech map data and this Navcore 7 software...Anyone who thought end users would be able to put roundabouts in willy nilly and be able to send that info to everyone else on the scheme should have there head examined, I wonder how many roundabouts would have appeared on the fast lane of the M1!!Even the Block/unblock function is very risky, I wonder how many people are going to be driving round the M25 only to find there TT is telling them the road is permantly blocked, chaosI don't see a "no right/left ammend function on there anywhere, am i not looking in the right placeMy Dream device1,A 5inch screen2,split screen display (birds eye and 3d) views with sticky independant zooming3,nearest petrol in road miles not "as crow flies" 4,RDS TMC with a contact No. so you can let them know that the A2 is actually closed!!!!5,RDS FM Transmiter - it will cut into whatever CD or Radio stn your listening to.6,All the features of Navcore 7 7,custom menus8,reliable speed camera data9,preview of next junction
Captain Nemo 2nd Posts: 2
Posted on: June 13, 2007 11:38 h
Sam Johnson...I do believe you will be able to keep your 710 it's a software upgrade
samjohnson Posts: 3
Posted on: June 13, 2007 12:21 h
QUOTE
Even the Block/unblock function is very risky, I wonder how many people are going to be driving round the M25 only to find there TT is telling them the road is permantly blocked, chaosWell I don't know, I would imagine they would have thought of that. I don't think it would be that hard to filter incoming corrections. And if you look at their 'levels of trustworthiness', the lowest level is reported by 'some' so even in that case more than one person would have to report the same correction. They will surely have some kind of system in place to sort out silly corrections, it will be interesting to see how it works in practice.
angel13 Posts: 160
Posted on: June 13, 2007 14:41 h
Typical Tom Tom: Like TMC - Garmin had it Tom Tom announced it. Said it would come with the new x10 series. More than half a year later it was released and to date it still doesn't work. Should have bought a Garmin.
Andy_P Posts: 2793
Posted on: June 13, 2007 14:56 h
QUOTE(angel13 @ Jun 13 2007, 13:41)
Typical Tom Tom: Should have bought a Garmin. Why... Does Garmin have something like Mapshare up and running?
TheTremor Posts: 181
Posted on: June 13, 2007 18:35 h
QUOTE(angel13 @ Jun 13 2007, 14:41)
More than half a year later it was released and to date it still doesn't workTMC works perfectly on my TomTomEspecially if you live in Switzerland
greyboy Posts: 296
Posted on: June 13, 2007 19:07 h
I think the really interesting thing about the 720 is that its opening new door of interaction with the maps on our GPS devices and its the biggest step in the right direction I've seen in a while. No one else is coming close to this and the fact that they are reacting to consumer demand and creating new features like this in the new TomTom devices is in no way disappointing to me.
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 13, 2007 20:14 h
Just another "half-cocked" idea; promises, promises.Colin
MECCAA Posts: 61
Posted on: June 13, 2007 21:19 h
Im a bit disappointed but when you think About it the mapshare would have took a lot of policeing before it could work. They would have had to check it was correct before it was put on a central database for us to share and that would mean loads more people to employ and the cost to do this would outway the smile on our faces. I was going for the One XL but am glad I never rushed out to buy it, now the 720 is on Pre-Order and I am looking forward to playing with my new toy.
vroomfondel Posts: 44
Posted on: June 13, 2007 22:39 h
QUOTE(Colin K @ Jun 13 2007, 19:14)
Just another "half-cocked" idea; promises, promises.Yup, Its a FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) feature to scare the competitors.IBM used to be masters at this.It will make customers think they are making a contribution, so they feel important.Like the fader we used to fit on audio mixing consoles that did nothing but made the "money" producers feel they were doing something.
Nextourer Posts: 46
Posted on: June 14, 2007 07:51 h
QUOTE(MECCAA @ Jun 13 2007, 12:19)
Im a bit disappointed but when you think About it the mapshare would have took a lot of policeing before it could work. They would have had to check it was correct before it was put on a central database for us to share and that would mean loads more people to employ and the cost to do this would outway the smile on our faces. I was going for the One XL but am glad I never rushed out to buy it, now the 720 is on Pre-Order and I am looking forward to playing with my new toy.I'm more concerned with MY unit so that MY TT routes well. You don't have to accept MapShare changes from others if you don't want to.
angel13 Posts: 160
Posted on: June 14, 2007 09:54 h
QUOTE(Andy_P @ Jun 13 2007, 14:56)
Why... Does Garmin have something like Mapshare up and running?Given past experience I'm willing to bet they will before Tom Tom does!
angel13 Posts: 160
Posted on: June 14, 2007 10:00 h
QUOTE(TheTremor @ Jun 13 2007, 18:35)
TMC works perfectly on my TomTomEspecially if you live in SwitzerlandI don't know where you live but I regularly drive between Zurich and Geneva on the A1 and find about 50% of the time my Tom Tom is searching for a TMC signal. If I sit in one place and start my Tom Tom I find it takes between 5 and 15 minutes to finally lock on a station. If I watch the Traffic page at the frequencies it is listing (when I stand in one place) I can see it repeatedly stopping at and passing a station I know carries TMC until finally 5 to 15 minutes later it stops to recieve data.The number of times I have been in traffic to look down to see my unit still searching for data is more than enough for me to say resoundly it does not work.
samjohnson Posts: 3
Posted on: June 14, 2007 10:37 h
QUOTE
Yup, Its a FUD (Fear Uncertainty & Doubt) feature to scare the competitors.IBM used to be masters at this.It will make customers think they are making a contribution, so they feel important.Like the fader we used to fit on audio mixing consoles that did nothing but made the "money" producers feel they were doing something.I think the first five features will be genuinely useful. In my experience people often complain about incorrectly named streets and innacuracy of the standard POIs. I also know a few places where street directions tend to change as well, sometimes every day. We'll need so see how well the sharing works in practice, but I'm definitely excited about being able to make these mods to my own map. You can say a lot about TomTom but they've always been good at letting users configure and personalize their own devices.
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 14, 2007 15:27 h
QUOTE(MECCAA @ Jun 13 2007, 19:19)
Im a bit disappointed but when you think About it the mapshare would have took a lot of policeing before it could work. They would have had to check it was correct before it was put on a central database for us to share and that would mean loads more people to employ and the cost to do this would outway the smile on our faces. I was going for the One XL but am glad I never rushed out to buy it, now the 720 is on Pre-Order and I am looking forward to playing with my new toy.With whom do you have your 720 on Pre-Order MECCAA, and what is the estimated delivery date?I was seriously considering getting the 720 but have now been forced into it. My Landy was broken into this morning (they bricked the window, along with seven other cars in the same area) and they took my GO 910, Garmin Street Pilot, Sony radio-CD player and various other odds and ends. My local Land Rover dealer says that they expect the *20's by third week in July.Colin (very pissed-off person!)
Jolly Roger Posts: 1275
Posted on: June 14, 2007 15:31 h
Guess you're not even safe out in the middle of nowhere these days
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 14, 2007 15:34 h
QUOTE(samjohnson @ Jun 14 2007, 08:37)
You can say a lot about TomTom but they've always been good at letting users configure and personalize their own devices.What on earth do you mean by this statement?Colin
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 14, 2007 15:48 h
QUOTE(Jolly Roger @ Jun 14 2007, 13:31)
Guess you're not even safe out in the middle of nowhere these days Sure aren't JR. The annoying thing is that I have lost about £1,000 worth of kit which will be sold by some demented "druggy" (of which we have an awful lot here) for €20 in a local bar. Plus, clearing up the mess in the car, plus the hassle of doing a 160km round trip to my Land Rover dealer to find that they don't have the window in stock but have to get it sent from Spain, then another 160km round trip again on Monday to have it and the radio fitted. PLUS, today is the first day I can remember in ten years here that it has absolutely pissed down with rain and a force 7 gale in June so I had to spend an hour making a makeshift window out of polythene and gaffer tape.And, I went to report the crime to the police in Portimão but they didn't want to know (literally) because they are all going off to look for the the body of this Mcann child which is apparently buried just a few kms from where I live, and without the police report I cannot make an insurance claim, and CarGlass (the free glass replacement service which I have with my car insurance) have failed miserably to respond to my SOS.My wife has just poured me a (another) malt whiskey.Colin
Andy_P Posts: 2793
Posted on: June 14, 2007 16:19 h
Yeah, but look at that view....
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 14, 2007 19:25 h
Now this really is funny.CarGlass did eventually phone me and apologised for the delay. The weather has been so bad today that the Portuguese have been playing "dodgems" on the motorway and with so many crashes the emergency glass replacement firm have been over-stretched. The guy who phoned me said that if I could bring my car into Faro (another 160 km round trip) they could replace the window at their depot. He gave me an address which I could not find on the map (it was on an industrial estate) and then said: "If you have a PND system I can give you the grid co-ordinates" - my response was not fit for posting on this forum!!!Colin
greyboy Posts: 296
Posted on: June 14, 2007 19:38 h
Wow, that really sucks. Was anything out in plain sight? I don't even leave the mount or charge out for anything anymore and I live in a reasonably safe area. Does your insurance cover any of your stolen equipment? Maybe you could get them to buy you a new 720 - that'd be at least a little silver lining. Sounds like you might actually get your new TT before you get a new window. Sorry again, I know there the "help me I'm getting robbed function on the new 720 - but is there a "don't park here because you will get broken into" share function on it too?
Colin K Posts: 698
Posted on: June 14, 2007 20:08 h
Because I cannot get a police report (for reasons given above) I cannot make an insurance claim. In any case, I have spoken to my insurance agent who tells me that although I am covered for €2,000 of "car contents" it does not include PND devices (no reason given) - insurance of any sort (car, home contents, buildings, health, etc.) in Portugal is a total waste of time and money. We have been burgled twice, I have had the car broken into twice, and I have been mugged once - not a penny in compensation. I only keep the car insurance because it is a legal requirement. COMMERCIAL UNION (now called VICTORIA INSURANCE here) are a load of thieves.So, I just grit my teeth and pay up. I was going to get a 720 anyway and give my 910 to my wife. What I really want is a PND which, when taken from a vehicle without entering a secure password, will explode with the force of an atomic bomb approximately one hour later. Now that would be satisfying, don't you think?Colin
vroomfondel Posts: 44
Posted on: June 14, 2007 21:38 h
QUOTE(Colin K @ Jun 14 2007, 19:08)
.... I only keep the car insurance because it is a legal requirement. COMMERCIAL UNION (now called VICTORIA INSURANCE here) are a load of thieves.....Thankfully i'm with another insurer..


Products
News
Reviews
Specials
Links
Polls
Forum
Contact
The intellectual rights of this site and its content, graphical design and (technical) architecture (like texts, photo's, illustrations, logo's), are reserved.
Everything about TomTom GO 720, TomTom GO 520, TomTom ONE XL Europe, TomTom RIDER 2, Navigon 7110, Navigon 5110, Navigon 7100, Navigon 5100, Medion GoPal X4510, Medion GoPal S2310, Mio C520T, Mio C520, Mio C320, Mio C220, Garmin nüvi 370T, Garmin nüvi 670T, Garmin zūmo 400, Route 66 Chicago 9000 PRO, Route 66 Chicago 7000 PRO, Garmin zūmo 500, JVC KV-PX70, Sony Nav-U71T, Nokia 330 Auto Navigation, Mio C250, Packard Bell 400, Packard Bell Compasseo 620, Packard Bell Compasseo 600, Packard Bell Compasseo 500, inVion GPS-5v1, Route 66 Chicago 8000, Route 66 Chicago 6000, ViaMichelin X-980T, VDO Dayton PN2050, Mio H610, Navigon P9611 Porsche, Garmin Nüvi 660, TomTom ONE New Edition Europe, Becker Traffic Assist Highspeed II, Becker Traffic Assist Pro, TomTom ONE New Edition Regional, Garmin zūmo 550, Acer d150, Acer e310, Intempo Digital Buddy, VDO Dayton MS 2010, Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket Loox N100, Novogo V90, Novogo V70, Novogo V50, Novogo T90, Novogo T70, Novogo T50, Novogo A70, Novogo T30, Novogo A30, Novogo V30, Falk 3500 SC, Pioneer AVIC-S1, Navman iCN 750, Navman iCN 720, Navman iCN 530, Navman iCN 330, Garmin StreetPilot i2, Mio C210, Mio C510E, Mio C710, ViaMichelin X-950T, ViaMichelin X-930, Sony Nav-U70, Sony Nav-U50, VDO Dayton MS 2000, Navman iCN 650, Navman iCN 520, Navman iCN 320, Garmin StreetPilot c550, Garmin StreetPilot c510, Garmin StreetPilot i3, Garmin Nüvi 360, Garmin Nüvi 310, Garmin Nüvi 350, Garmin Nüvi 300, Mio 269 Plus, Mio 268 Plus, TomTom GO, TomTom ONE, TomTom RIDER, TomTom GO 300, TomTom GO 500, TomTom GO 700, TomTom GO 510, TomTom GO 710, TomTom GO 910 and more... © 2004-2007 jouwMedia bv
_uacct = "UA-520140-2";
urchinTracker();

No comments: